Monday, January 23, 2012

FTP Test #3

We had our third FTP test this morning. I made a big improvement over the last two.  Part of the improvement is no doubt due to not playing basketball last night. My legs felt fresh, stronger than last time.

My previous FTP rating was 220.  That was based on my original test from November, since the December test was lower. The FTP is 95% of the average wattage for a 20 minute "all-out" interval.  First we have the five minute all out to get us warmed up and to help us figure out how hard to push for the 20 minute segment.

This time I averaged about 275 for the 5 minute test and 264 for the 20 minute interval. Craig gave me a printout of the wattages and speed. I averaged about 20 mph (on a 1% grade) and I thought wattage pattern was pretty consistent. I was riding next to Claire Geiger, who wasn't testing, and for the last minute she exhorted me to keep it over 300 watts, which I did.

That is definitely a benefit of team training. I would not have pushed myself nearly as hard (especially at the end) without the benefit of a coach /teammate offering support (in the form of yelling to go harder). 

Swimming:

After the FTP test I did my optional swim workout. It felt good to get in the water.  warmup:  200 yards;  main set:  500, 300, 100,  and some pulling.  Sort of an easy workout but I kept working on my catchup and form and body rotation.  I am definitely getting better. Maybe not faster, but more efficient. 

Pam was swimming in the next lane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment