Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Strength Workout

One of the diffrences about training when you get older is that nothing lasts. If I took two weeks off it would be a lot harder for me to get back in shape than a younger person. But I never take two weeks off. I like working out - the part I don't really like is the getting up at 5 am.  But now at least, it seems like sleeping in when I have a 7 am workout. Can sleep until 6:35. 

Today I had spin class. New instructor on Wednesdays is Flo. (Heather's took over Friday mornings.)  Flo has good workouts. Different from Heathers so I get some good variety. Today we did an interval of tempo low resistance and then for the second half very heavy resistance and slowly tapering down to lighter resistance. She called it a reverse pyramid.  Good workout. My back is sore and stiff, but considerably less stiff than Monday.

After spinning I had my first workout with Nibra (my personal trainer) since early July. I told him about the back issue and also mentioned that I'd been having some tugginess in my right side hamstring. He put in some excercises to deal with those issues.  He's good at creating effective workouts.

Today's workout was:

Superman lift (lay facedown on mat and raise hands and feet off the ground) x 15
Plank for about 30 seconds
Pushups x 15
Repeat 3 times;

Exercise ball - lay on back, soles on ball - lift butt off ground using hamstring muscles mostly;
arch back - hands and knees on ground - tighten core 15 times
repeated 3 times

Dip machine - with about 80 pounds of support weight (the weight makes it easier);
Pullups x 10
Dips x 10
lift 25 pound barbells with knees flexed lift weights about 18 inches off the ground..stretches works hamstring;
repeat sequence 3 times;

2 sets of deltoid pulldowns while I waited for Nibra;

exercise ball - forearms on ball - roll out and back.  Hard to do; only did one set;

It was a good workout and my back felt good afterward. Much less tight.  Muscles will be sore tomorrow. I don't think I will do the ERC tonight. Too wet and cold and hamstring is sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment