Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hawaii Break February 2 to February 17

Flew to Kauai for a vacation.  Spent nine days in Kauai and five days on the big island.  We stayed when on the big island near Highway 19, which is where the bike segment of the Ironman is set. The road is great, but the landscape is barren, like a moonscape.  It looks like it would be very hot with all that reflected sun. Maybe I will race there someday. 

Kauai -

I ran most every day while in Kauai. Followed Craig's workouts on hills and got in some good runs. I did a little bit of ocean swimming, but not too much as the waves were more choppy than in previous years.

When I got to the big Island, I ran each morning and on the last morning I ran 11.68 miles at an average pace of 9:18.  My foot did not give me much trouble and I felt pretty good on the run, even though it was hard to remain hydrated. 

Overall - the break from intense training was good. I feel strong and confident about my chances of having a good race in Galveston on April 1.  I have already reached a level of conditioning where I think I could do a the half-Ironman distances right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment